This Vegan Sweet Potato Focaccia is easy to make and delicious! It’s a healthy focaccia barese bread that you can make for a party, a picnic or a simple lunch at home!
Sweet Potato Focaccia
If you love sweet potato as much as I do, you’re going to love this recipe! This focaccia is very easy to make and very soft and fluffy thanks to the mashed sweet potato. It’s perfect for a simple lunch at home, a brunch, a picnic or a party.
How to Make Vegan Focaccia Bread
If you’ve never made focaccia before, you’re going to love how easy it is to prepare. Here are the simple steps to follow:
- Prepare the dough by mixing flour, yeast, mashed sweet potato and water.
- Knead the dough for 5 minutes by hand and let it rise in a warm place for 90 minutes or until doubled in volume.
- Meanwhile, chop your veggies and place them in a mixing bowl with salt and cider vinegar. Give everything a good stir and set aside.
- Once the dough has doubled in volume, place it on a lined baking tray and stretch it into a rectangular shape. The thicker the rectangle, the thicker and fluffier the final focaccia.
- Poke the dough with your fingertips and place the veggies on top, pressing gently so they sink slightly into the dough. Don’t forget to drizzle the juice all over the dough for extra moisture.
- Sprinkle sesame seeds for added flavor and texture.
- Bake the focaccia in a preheated oven (390F or 200C) for 20 minutes or until golden brown. Enjoy!
Vegan Focaccia with Mashed Sweet Potato
Focaccia barese is an Italian flat bread from Puglia. The dough is traditionally made with flour, semolina, potato, oil, salt and yeast. Since I love sweet potato, I decided to put my own twist on the traditional recipe and use sweet potato instead of regular potato.
Not only does the sweet potato give a pretty orange color to the focaccia, but it also adds moisture to the bread and makes it very soft and fluffy.
Oil-Free Focaccia Barese Recipe
Yes, this recipe is completely oil-free! Thanks to the mashed sweet potato, the focaccia still turns out very soft and fluffy without oil. Therefore, this recipe is very healthy and perfect if you like to avoid oil as well.
How Can I Store this Focaccia Bread?
I like to store focaccia in the fridge in an airtight container for 3-4 days, although it tastes best when it’s freshly baked. You can also freeze it for up to 2 months if you want.
I hope you will like this Sweet Potato Focaccia Bread! It’s:
- Easy to make
- Perfect for a party, a brunch or a picnic
Have fun cooking!
PIN ON PINTEREST 😊
More Vegan Recipes with Sweet Potato and Regular Potato:
- Vegan Sweet Potato Crust Pizza
- Vegan Sweet Potato Tortillas
- Vegan Potato Tortillas
- Vegan Zucchini and Potato Gratin
- 2 + 1/4 cup all-purpose flour (300 g)
- 3/4 cup mashed sweet potato (150 g)
- 4 g instant dry yeast
- 3/4 cup water (180 ml)
- 2 medium-sized tomatoes, chopped
- 1/2 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 tbsp cider vinegar
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 tbsp sesame seeds (optional)
- To a large bowl, add the flour, the yeast and the mashed sweet potato. Use a spatula to mix the ingredients together.
- Add in the water and mix the ingredients by hand to form a dough ball. Transfer the dough onto a working surface and knead it for 5 minutes.
- After 5 minutes, place the dough back into the mixing bowl, cover it with a clean kitchen towel leave it to rise at room temperature for 90 minutes or until doubled in volume.
- Meanwhile, place the chopped tomatoes and the chopped bell pepper in a mixing bowl and add in salt and vinegar. Stir well to combine and set aside.
- Preheat your oven to 390F or 200C.
- Once the dough has doubled in volume, place it on a baking tray lined with parchment paper and stretch in into a rectangular shape. Don't make it too thin if you want a fluffy focaccia bread.
- Poke the dough with your fingertips and add the marinated tomatoes and red bell pepper on top, pressing slightly so they stick to the dough. Drizzle the juice too!
- Sprinkle sesame seeds if using.
- Bake the focaccia for 20 minutes or until golden brown. Enjoy!
Recipe adapted from The Vegan Corner.
Please note that this post contains affiliate links. You can read my full disclosure at the bottom of the page.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 2
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 160 Total Fat: 0.1g Carbohydrates: 34g Fiber: 2.4g Protein: 4.4g