Baked Vegan Sweet Potato Falafel are easy to make, healthy, oil-free, rich in protein and delicious. Add falafel to your salad, burger, wrap or sandwich for a delicious healthy vegan meal!
Baked Sweet Potato Falafel Recipe
If you love falafel but you’ve never tried making your own before, this recipe is for you! For this recipe you will only need 8 simple ingredients, including spices.
Let me show you how to make delicious vegan falafel!
How to Make Vegan Sweet Potato Falafel
These falafel are easy to make and don’t take much time. Scroll down to the recipe card to watch the recipe video.
- Step 1: Preheat your oven to 350°F or 180°C.
- Step 2: To a high-speed blender or food processor, add mashed sweet potato, canned chickpeas, chickpea flour, spices of choice (I’m using curry powder, cumin and cayenne pepper), fresh parsley and salt. Blend until well-combined.
- Step 3: Take roughly one tablespoon of dough and roll it between your palms to form a ball. This recipe makes 8 medium-sized falafels.
- Step 4: Place the falafels on a baking tray lined with parchment paper and bake at 350°F or 180°C for 30 minutes. You know falafels are ready when they are golden brown and slightly crispy on the outside. Enjoy!
What Is Falafel Made Of?
These falafels are healthy and made with simple ingredients. You will need:
Mashed sweet potato: to make mashed sweet potato, you’ll need to cook the sweet potato first. Simply bake it at 400°F or 200°C for 30 minutes or until fork-tender. Then, remove the skin and mash it with a fork. That’s it!
Canned chickpeas (or home cooked chickpeas)
Chickpea flour: because we’re adding mashed sweet potato to the falafel dough, it’s going to be moister and stickier than regular falafel dough. Therefore, we need to add flour to be able to form balls with our hands. I like to use chickpea flour because it’s gluten-free and rich in protein, but you can use any type of flour.
Spices: here I’m using curry powder, cumin and cayenne pepper. I really like this combo because the falafels turn out tasty but not overly spicy. If you prefer spicy falafels, feel free to use more cayenne pepper.
How Do You Eat Falafel?
Falafel are extremely versatile and can be enjoyed as a snack, for lunch or dinner, or even for breakfast!
You can enjoy them warm or cold with homemade guacamole (my favorite!), in a burrito, a salad, a buddha bowl or with roasted veggies and rice for example.
I also LOVE using them in tacos. They go really well with my Vegan Sweet Potato Tortillas too, which is by far my most popular recipe on my blog!
Oil-Free Baked Falafel Recipe
Most of the time, store-bought falafels are deep-fried. Personally, I prefer to bake them because consuming deep-fried food makes me feel very tired afterwards.
This recipe is great if you like to avoid oil as well. However, feel free to cook the falafel in oil if you don’t mind deep-fried food.
How to Store Sweet Potato Falafel?
Falafels are great for meal prep and keep well in the fridge in an airtight container for 3-4 days. Since this recipe only makes around 8 falafels, feel free to double or triple the quantities so they last you several days.
Can You Freeze Falafels?
Yes! Falafels freeze very well. Simply place the uncooked falafels in a freezer bag and freeze for up to 3 months. When ready to eat, bake at 350°F (180°C) for 30 minutes or until golden brown.
You can also freeze cooked falafels! Simply place them in a freezer bag or in an airtight container and freeze for up to 3 months. When ready to eat, let them thaw in the fridge and reheat them in the oven for a couple of minutes.
I hope you guys will love these vegan sweet potato falafel! They are:
- Easy to make
- Rich in protein
- Great for meal prep
PIN ON PINTEREST 😊
More Vegan Falafel Recipes:
- 3/4 cup mashed sweet potato (150 g)
- 1 cup canned chickpeas (160 g)
- 1-2 tbsp chickpea flour
- 1/2 tsp curry powder
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 handful fresh parsley
- 1 pinch of salt
- Preheat oven to 390°F (200°C).
- Add all ingredients to a blender or food processor and blend until combined.
- Take about one tablespoon of the mixture and roll it between your palms to form a ball. Repeat the process until there is no dough left.
- Place the falafels on a baking tray lined with parchment paper and bake at 390°F (200°C) for 30 minutes or until golden brown. Enjoy!
Please note that this post contains affiliate links. You can read my full disclosure at the bottom of the page.